What is Urticarea(Hives)?
Urticaria also called nettle-rash or hives means itching with rash & skin eruption, which is allergic (or non-allergic) in origin and is characterized by profound itching, red circular or irregularly shaped eruptions on any part of the body.
They have tendency to disappear and reappear. They tend to disappear without leaving behind any trace. Swelling deeper in the skin that may accompany hives is called angioedema. This swelling may be seen on the hands and feet, as well as the lips or eyes, that can be as dramatic as it is brief.
Urticaria can be triggered by:
- Allergens: A number of food allergens, environmental allergens, etc. can trigger Urticaria; however reactions may vary in different individuals
- Foods: fish, crabs, oysters, shell fish, prawns, milk, cheese, eggs, nuts, chocolates, citrus fruits, spices, yeast, food additives and preservatives like tartazine, berries, wheat, tomatoes, pineapple, strawberries, alcohol, etc.
- Environmental: Pollen, dander, fungi, house-dust are few of the common reasons
- Insect bites and stings.
- Infections: Parasitic worm infestations such as round worms, tapeworms, etc; bacterial infections, etc can also cause Urticaria
- Contact with an irritant, such as nettles, chemicals or latex.
- Certain medications – anti-inflammatory drugs), used to treat pain, hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Extremes of temperatures.
- Solar Urticaria – results from exposure to sun .
- Water on the skin
- Pressure on the skin such as that caused by tight clothes may lead to pressure Urticaria
- Physical exertion, exercise, hot shower, perspiration may trigger Cholinergic Urticaria
- Direct physical stimulation of the skin by vibrations, firmly stroking or scratching the skin, etc.
- Abnormal functioning of the immune system (auto-immunity) – has been considered to be a trigger for chronic Urticaria.
- Other auto-immune systemic illness such as thyroid disorders, systemic lupus erythematosus, etc. may be linked to Urticaria
- Idiopathic – In about 80% of chronic Urticaria cases, the cause is unknown
Symptoms of Urticarea:
- Irregular, Eruptions can be as small as dots or as large as coins
- The rashes may have a central clearing
- Intensely itchy – may lead to disturbance at work, sleeplessness, irritability, restlessness, impatience, etc.
- Can be associated with burning and stinging sensation.
- Eruptions and may fade in a few minutes to an hour in one place only to pop up in another.
- Rubbing or scratching these hives is known to aggravate your condition and even leave you with scars.
Homoeopathy and Urticarea:
- Correct Immune dysfunction
- Increase resistance to the allergen
- Corrects Emotional imbalance
- Revives broken down immunity
- Relieve itching & wheals
- Relieve associated allergen responsible conditions e.g. Allergic Asthma
Seek medical advice urgently if you have any of the following symptoms:
- marked swelling, especially in the face, eyes, lips or tongue
- wheezing, tight chest or difficulty breathing or swallowing