What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a non-contagious, chronic skin condition that produces round, dry skin patches of varying size that are covered with white, gray, or silvery-white scales. Normally your skin sheds its layers every 25-30 days. In psoriasis the affected lesions shed ever 3-4 days resulting in a buildup of silvery scales. The dry scales penetrate your superficial skin layer resulting in itching.
Causes of Psoriasis?
There is no definite cause of psoriasis; however there is evidence of an autoimmune response in which the body’s immune system mistakenly targets its own healthy cells. Predisposing factors:
- A positive family history may predispose you to be affected by this condition.
- Physical & Emotional Stress are responsible for aggravating or causing the lesions to reappear
- Environmental factors – Skin irritants, local trauma, infections, alcohol, steroid
- Red, thickened patches/lesions on the skin – these may vary from small rain-drop sized lesions to large ones covering an extensive area
- The lesions are covered with silvery scales
- Itching of the lesions is a common feature – there may be burning that occurs after scratching
- There may be discomfort or pain experienced at the site of lesions
- The lesions are dry and excessive dryness may cause cracked skin and bleeding
- During the active stage of the disease, scratching or cutting the skin may give rise to new lesions at such areas
- Nails may be thickened, pitted or ridged.
- There may be discoloration of the nails and they may crumble or detach from the nail-bed
- In case of joint affection, there is swelling and stiffness of joints
Homeopathy for Psoriasis:
Homeopathic medicines help by improving our body’s (immune) innate response and guide the body back to a healthy state, naturally. It work in following way.
- It stimulates body’s own healing process
- It works at root level and restores deviated immunity back to normalcy.
- It works by addressing the genetic tendencies